Saturday, September 13, 2008

Arthur

A very heavy heart while I write this. Arthur was Heather's dog when I met her and he came with the package deal. He had seen her through some rough times so I knew I was getting both of them. Over the years though, I became to think of his as mine as much as Heather did. We kind of had a shtick in our household and I was the one that always acted like...why do we have a dog? But, I'm confessing today. It was all an act. I loved that dog and have tears in my eyes right now thinking about it. I miss him. Yes, part of it is from seeing the love of my life hurting....but it's more selfish than that, to be honest. He was a wonderful dog, always ready for love and scratches, very obedient, was great with our kids and was always so happy to see us. Yeah, he shed and was at your feet while you ate, but that's what dogs do and I'd give anything to clean up that hair and see him at my feet. I was out of town yesterday when he took a turn and didn't get to say goodbye. I'm so glad Heather had the special time with him before she took him in. She was very brave and I'm so proud of her.

We're dealing with quietness and reminders today. I've already noticed an emptiness. Too quiet. We lost a part of the history of Heather and Scott.

Emily says Arthur's in heaven, and we know he is, but I think she thinks it's only a temporary visit, which is fine. I'm glad she knew him. And I look forward to telling her and Eli about this wonderful dog that I got as a bonus.

Arthur, I would take back all the times I scolded you if I could. I know you loved me...hope you know I loved you too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We always knew you were putting on a show about how much Arthur got on your nerves. We truly are sorry for your family's loss and know how hard that can be.

The Parkers

Anonymous said...

We went through this with our family dog in the last year too. Very not fun. I feel your pain.

Anonymous said...

I have to admit, I shed several tears as well. He was just part of the Family. I'll miss seeing him and having jump up with his happy greeting.

David