Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Pinocchio

February 7, 1940..what, 68 years ago tomorrow, Pinocchio opened at the Roxy Theatre. Walt and his animators, not to mention animators and critics since, consider Pinocchio Walt's best picture from a technical aspect. It's detail and first feature use of the multi-plane camera gave the picture more vividness and depth than any disney feature before or since. Based off an old Italian story, Pinocchio had to "grow" into the picture it became. Did you know in the original story, Jiminy Cricket is a background character that ends getting squished by Pinocchio? So Walt came up with the idea of him being Pinocchio's conscience. Walt was keenly aware of needing the audience to gain sympathy for the main character and by using Jiminy, you could see and hear the battle going on over right and wrong in Pinocchio's little wooden head.

There are interesting side stories about how they came up with Jiminy's look and name...for another time (thank you Ward Kimball, one of the famed "Nine Old Men"). You may wonder why I'm focusing on the cricket. Well, at Disneyland's animation building down in the "Sorcerer's Workshop", you can take a test to see which Disney character you most resemble. Yep, mine was Jiminy. Maybe Heather will share hers in a response. Can anyone guess?

Pinocchio didn't really make money for Disney until it was re-released years later. You see, much of Snow White's revenue was made in Europe. Well, in late 1940, there was a bit of a disruption going on in Europe, so Pinocchio didn't make it over there. Maybe Hitler should have seen the picture. Maybe it would have awakened his inner Jiminy Cricket.

And yes, Pleasure Island at Downtown Disney comes from Pinocchio. I'm waiting for this one on dvd by the way.....

3 comments:

Christy said...

One of the evil witches...no, no Just kidding!! My guess would be Snow White


P.S. Eli is going to be oh so stylin' in what Baylor and I bought him today::)

Christine said...

I think that I was the White Rabbit. Not really thrilled about that but seems about right...I'm late I'm late...that is my daily montra. OI!

Heather said...

Actually, I was "Alice" (from Wonderland). Don't remember the explanation as to why I most related to her. Maybe because I'm curious and a little self-conscious???