Why is it that my wife just looks at this title before I start writing and laughs. So what. I am who I am. See, here's the thing:
Yes, Snow White came out 70 years ago, in 1937. It was a story about an innocent girl with a high pitched voice, an evil queen, a prince, a talking mirror, a huntsman who almost takes Snow White out with an ax, a red apple, and 7 mysteriously single dwarfs who worked in the jewel mines. It was also called "Disney's Folly" and was panned even before it came out. How did Disney expect people to sit through a full length cartoon? All they knew to that point were cartoon shorts...gags, 3-5 minute punchlines before the real movie began.
It worked. Walt mortgaged the studio to make it, everyone in his employ worked on it, he was very demanding of the animation, and was masterful at what was needed to tell the story. The first people who saw it wept..no kidding.
It won a special academy award, with the main statue and 7 miniature statues alongside it. Shirley Temple presented it to Walt. We would probably not have Disneyland or DisneyWorld if it hadn't done so well. Full-length animated features worked! Snow White, if it hadn't been for you..no Pinocchio, no Dumbo, no Peter Pan, no Lion King, no Little Mermaid, etc. etc.
This one's for you Emmy (SW is the flavor of the month). Someday your prince will come...and I'll be waiting with the huntsman and his ax.
Wednesday, December 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You, my friend, are hysterical! But...if Jack just so happens to be Emmy's prince, please be careful with that ax!
I love finding out all these wonderful tidbits that I would have otherwise never known. Snow White is one of my all-time favorites and I can't wait to watch it with Jack!
Keep the stories coming!
I won't laugh at you...I love it:) I for one am so glad that Snow White worked and we have all we do today
Post a Comment